Chainlink’s native LINK token surged over 24% in the last 7 days to break year-long resistance around $16.6 and hit highs above $19. However, on-chain metrics indicate the rally may be running out of steam despite highly positive investor sentiment.
- Chainlink’s LINK token price surged over 24% in the last 7 days to over $19, reaching 2022 highs.
- The rally comes amidst high positive social sentiment and rising futures open interest showing enthusiastic speculation.
- However, falling on-chain development activity and token age suggest holders are keen to take profits.
- Spot trading volumes were lower compared to futures, indicating the rally was driven more by derivatives rather than organic spot demand.
- With Bitcoin facing resistance at $44k, chances remain for a short-term LINK price pullback if bullish momentum wanes.
According to blockchain analytics firm Santiment, social volume and engagement spiked across platforms as LINK broke out of the range trade between $12-$16 where it had been stuck since mid-November.
The surge of interest comes alongside rising open interest in LINK futures as speculative positions piled up. But this derivatives-driven exuberance belies weakness in underlying on-chain developer trends.
Santiment noted that Chainlink’s developer activity has posted one of its steepest drawdowns in recent months even as prices popped. The mean token age also declined rapidly suggesting longer-term holders were keen to take profits.
This combination indicates the price explosion was likely an unsustainable derivatives-induced pump rather than sustained by genuine spot market demand. Traders aggressively opening highly leveraged futures may get caught on the wrong side if the momentum reverses.
The behavior also mirrors a classic technical ‘blow-off’ top pattern where a prolonged consolidation ends with a vertical price spike on low volumes. This tends to be followed by an equally sharp reversal once the euphoria subsides.
Adding to the chances of a cool-off, Bitcoin remains capped by formidable resistance around the $44,000 level. Given crypto markets continue trading in lockstep with BTC price action, heavier consolidation or pullback from top Cryptocurrencies poses a threat.
If the tentative risk appetite in global macro markets shifts, it could spark another selloff across risk assets. This would likely stop the nascent altcoin recovery in its tracks.
But Chainlink’s role as a leading blockchain oracle solution offers fundamental resilience. So any dip may see strong hands accumulate for the long-term even as short-term speculators get shaken out.